Voices of Calvary
John 19:17-22, Luke 23: 1-46
I: If you could have been there and listened.
1. You could have heard voices of fear.
2. You could have heard the voice of betrayal.
“I have sold innocent blood.”
3. The voice of one denial.
4. The voice of cursing.
5. The moan of suicide.
6. The silent sobbing of a repentant Peter.
7. The voices of doubt and confusion.
II: Voices on the Day of Crucifixion:
1. The voice of Religion:
a. “He said he was the Son of God.”
b. “Away with him we have no king but Caesar.”
c. “He saved others, himself he cannot save.”
2. The voice of Politics:
a. Pilates wife: “Have nothing to do with that just man.”
b. Pilate: “I find in him no fault, where did you come from? Behold the man. Behold your King.”
c. Jesus of Nazareth is the King of the Jews.
3. Voice of the soldiers: a. “Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it.”
b. “Truly this man was the Son of God.”
4. Voice of Robbers:
a. “If thou be the Christ, save thyself and us.”
b. “Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.”
5. The voice of Jesus:
a. “The cup which my Father gave me.”
b. “Woman, behold your son.”
c. “Father, forgive them.”
d. Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise.
e. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? It is finished.
6. Listen: What do you ear about him today? What do you say what intention?
Valle Vista: April 15, 1973