The Cup which My Father Gave Me
John 18:1-15, Matthew 26: 36-46
I: The Prayer and Victory in the Garden:
1. He prayed alone.
2. He sought another way.
3. He bowed to the Father’s will.
4. He settled the cross and all its shame.
5. “Rise let us be going.” Matthew 26:46
II: What could Jesus have done?
1. He could have stayed in Galilee.
2. He could have had Peter stop Judas.
3. He could have gone some other place to pray.
4. He could have vanished in the darkness.
5. He could have brought death to all.
6. He could have called 12 legions of angels.
III: But he drank the bitter drugs of the cup for you and me. Listen!
1. “I came to seek and save that which was lost.” “He knew all the cost of the search.”
2. “Behold the Lamb of God.” Stain from before the foundations of the world.
3. “But for the cross came I.”
4. He was the Shepherd seeking the lost sheep.
5. “Greater love hath no man than this that a man.”
6. He counted the cost and paid the price. Shame on his followers that refuse to drink a bitter cup in the line of duty. “He died for you and me.”
7. As my Father hath sent me …
Perris Valley Baptist: January 1968, April 14, 1974